DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 16 11:51:12 PST 2011

"retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:igv3p3$2n4k$2 at digitalmars.com...
> Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:47:09 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> Yea, you can get super high resolution non-CRTs, but they're much more
>> expensive. And even then, you lose the ability to do any real desktop
>> work at a more typical resolution. Which is bad because for many things
>> I do want to limit my resolution so the UI isn't overly-small. And yea,
>> there are certian things you can do to scale up the UI, but I've never
>> seen an OS, Win/Lin/Mac, that actually handled that sort of thing
>> reasonably well. So CRTs give you all that flexibility at a sensible
>> price.
>
> You mean DPI settings?

I just mean uniformly scaled UI elements. For instance, you can usually
adjust a UI's font size, but the results tend to be like selectively scaling
up just the nose, mouth and hands on a picture of a human. And then parts of
it still end up too small. And, especially on Linux, those sorts of settings
doesn't always get obeyed by all software anyway.

>> Also, it can be good when mirroring the display to TV-out or, better
>> yet, using the "cinema mode" where any video-playback is sent fullscreen
>> to the TV (which I'll often do), because those things tend to not work
>> very well when the monitor isn't reduced to the same resolution as the
>> TV.
>
> But my TV happily accepts 1920x1080? Sending the same digital signal to
> both works fine here. YMMV

Mine's an SD...which I suppose I have to defend...Never felt a need to
replace it. Never cared whether or not I could see athlete's drops of sweat
or individual blades of grass. And I have a lot of SD content that's never
going to magcally change to HD, and that stuff looks far better on an SD set
anyway than on any HD set I've ever seen no matter what fancy
delay-introducing filter it had (except maybe the CRT HDTVs that don't exist
anymore).

Racing games, FPSes and Pikmin are the *only* things for which I have any
interest in HD (since, for those, it actually matters if you're able to see
small things in the distance). But then I'd be spending money (which I'm
very short on), and making all my other SD content look worse, *AND* since
I'm into games, it would be absolutely essential to get one without any
input->display lag, which is very difficult since 1. The manufacturers only
seem to care about movies and 2. From what I've seen, they never seem to
actually tell you how much lag there is. So it's a big bother, costs money,
and has drawbacks. Maybe someday (like when I get rich and the downsides
improve) but not right now.