What Makes A Programming Language Good

Trass3r un at known.com
Tue Jan 18 02:32:53 PST 2011

> Then I would expect the library vendor provides either a pre-compiled
> binary library

As soon as you provide templates in your library this isn't sufficient anymore.

> or the means to readily generate same -- whether that
> means a Makefile, a script, or what have you.

We must avoid having the same disastrous situation like C/C++ where everyone uses
a different system, CMake, make, scons, blabla. Makefiles aren't portable (imo
stuff like msys is no solution, it's a hack) and especially for small or
medium-sized projects it's often enough to compile a single main file and all of
its dependencies.
We really need a standard, portable way to compile D projects, be it implemented
in the compiler or in some tool everyone uses.
dsss was kind of promising but as you know it's dead.