What Makes A Programming Language Good

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:01:28 PST 2011

> I meant that if the latest version 0.321 of the project 'foobar'
> depends on 'bazbaz 0.5.8.2'

Personally, I'd just prefer people to package their damned
dependencies with their app....

But, a configuration file could fix that easily enough. Set one up
like this:

bazbaz = http://bazco.com/0.5.8.2/

Then it'd try to download http://bazco.com/0.5.8.2/bazbaz.module.d
instead of the default site (which is presumably the latest
version).

This approach also makes it easy to add third party servers and
libraries, so you wouldn't be dependent on a central source for
your code.

Here's a potential problem: what if bazbaz needs some specific
version of something too? Maybe it could check for a config file
on its server too, and use those directives when getting the
library.