const/immutable member functions

foobar foo at bar.com
Tue Jan 25 12:04:57 PST 2011

so Wrote:

> > Here's another perspective:
> > A professor that teaches introduction to CS in first semester to
> > students that never programmed before needs to choose a programing
> > language. One of the criteria for choosing which language to use is of
> > course the learning curve.
> > I'm sure you know that not all universities choose c/c++ for this. In
> > fact, I know of several universities that use scheme as that first
> > programming language.
>
> C++ is complex, it is obvious why it is harder to learn.
> Other languages don't have this mostly because they are not as powerful (i
> don't think i need to explain this).
> And this is what i mean, the reason its complexity, not the building
> blocks we are talking about. (again, i don't believe this syntax has
> anything to do with C++ being complex).

C++ is indeed complex and one of the reasons is its syntax (believe it or not). There was even an academic project to re-syntax C++ with the exact same semantics.
Of course it's not the only cause of complexity in C++ but it is definitely one of the main ones.

C++'s complexity has nothing to do with it's "power". D is as powerful and is less complex to use which is why we are here and not on the C++ dev mailing list. for example, D's classes/structs are way better than equivalent c++ code.