Git Contributors Guide (Was: Re: destructor order)

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Thu Jan 27 02:32:33 PST 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:26:22 +0200, Ulrik Mikaelsson
<ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> The way I will show here is to gather up your changes in a so-called
> "bundle", which can then be sent by mail or attached in a bug-tracker.
> First, some terms that might need explaining.

Many open-source projects that use git use patches generated by the
format-patch command. Just type "git format-patch origin". Unless you have
a LOT of commits, patches are better than binary bundles, because they are
still human-readable (they contain the diff), and they also preserve the
metadata (unlike diffs).

You can even have git e-mail these patches to the project's mailing list.
The second and following patches are sent as a "reply" to the first patch,
so they don't clutter the list when viewed in threading mode.

   http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-format-patch.html
   http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

--
Best regards,