Suggestion: New D front page

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 29 16:12:42 PST 2011

On 1/29/2011 4:11 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> Exposing those sorts of errors directly to users is easy and handy
>> during the early stages, but really ought to just be
>> in the website logs.
>
> Right, that's why you can move it to use only stderr (which
> Apache automatically logs) with a simple recompile.
>
>> For a site with any traffic, placing load on a remote site
>> like that is fairly rude.
>
> It doesn't check every time. It loads from a cache file,
> but if the cache is outdated or not present, it checks the
> news server to get new news.
>

> if(cache exists && cache.age < nn)
>     return cache;
> else
>     ask the server for new news since the time the cache was
>     last modified
>
>     write the new result to the cache

Good answers.  I'd pull the updating out of the user stream into a separate job so that any delays or networking issues
don't impact the user experience.  But you've covered the bigger issue.

Sorry to harp on security issues, but what are you doing to protect yourself from those compile and run arbitrary code
boxes?  What happens if someone writes and executes the equivalent of "rm -rf /"?