Smartphones and D

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 10:36:44 PST 2011

Am 30.01.2011 13:29, schrieb Michel Fortin:
> On 2011-01-30 03:05:59 -0500, Gary Whatmore <no at spam.sp> said:
>
>> D's main focus currently is 32-bit x86 servers and desktop
>> applications. This is where the big market has traditionally been. Not
>> everyone has 64-bit hardware and I have my doubts about the size of
>> the smartphone markets.
>
> I think the important point here is ARM, not smartphones.
>
> ARM processors will soon start to enter other markets, mainly the server
> and laptop markets,

I'm not sure about these markets, because ARM is stuck to 32bit, 64bit
ARM seems to be (almost?) impossible as far as I know.

Nevertheless, ARM is pretty important and being able to use D on ARM
devices would be great.
Seeing how long it takes to port DMD to x86_64 I think there won't be a
port to ARM in the foreseeable  future.
Fixing GDC to have proper ARM support seems doable, though.

Cheers,
- Daniel