Decision on container design

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 10:09:54 PST 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:48:06 -0500, Simon Buerger <krox at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 31.01.2011 17:53, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dcollections
>>
>> -Steve
>
> Well, seems not bad on a quick look. But source is updated 2 years ago,
> so I doubt it would compile with current dmd. Anyway, the topic here is
> the std-behaviour of the std-lib. But sure, always nice to have custom
> alternatives.

latest meaningful change was 4 months ago:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/dcollections/changeset/102

It should compile on the latest DMD (if not, file a ticket).  BTW, it
changes very little mostly because I haven't had many complaints about it
(maybe not a good sign?) and I haven't had much opportunity to use it, as
my day job does not allow using D unfortunately.

It was proposed as a possibility for the std lib, but Andrei and I
couldn't come to an agreement on what the collections should look like.
Ironically, his latest decision moves std.container closer to dcollections
in design.

However, it should be relatively compatible with phobos' container lib (in
fact RedBlackTree is a direct port of dcollections' version).

-Steve