D brand identity repository

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 10:18:58 PDT 2011

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:08:17 -0400, James Fisher <jameshfisher at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Mafi <mafi at example.org> wrote:
>
>> This is my try.
>> What do you guys think about it?
>>

> So, I do think yours has merit.  The one gripe I have with it is a lack
> of
> obviousness.  Compare:
>
> New Python user: "say, why's your logo made of snakes?"
> Pythoneer: "..."
>
> New D user: "say, why's your logo got two balls in it?"
> D programmer: "Well, hear me out.  Originally, the language was going to
> be
> called Mars.  But then it was called D, and it's too late to change it
> back.
>  Now, the two balls are Mars' two moons.  That's right, the D is Mars.
> Yes,
> the D is see-through, but it was ugly to have the moons on the side, so
> you
> just have to stretch to see the illusion.  And yes, the moons should be
> irregular shapes, but that was ugly too."
>
> Not sure if that gets my point across but I'm just trying to think from
> the
> perspective of someone outside the community.  Which, of course, is what
> we
> should be doing.

I think you are way overthinking this...

rule #1 -- the logo should have the letter 'D' in it.

and, um... that's it :)

BTW, your comparison isn't correct.  I'd compare:  "Why does the python
logo contain snakes" to "Why does the D logo contain the letter D", and
"Why does the D logo contain balls" to "Why does the python logo look like
a + sign".

-Steve