D brand identity repository

James Fisher jameshfisher at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 00:42:42 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I think you are way overthinking this...

I've never quite understood what "overthinking" actually means.  If you mean
exploring all possible trains of thought the viewer, I'll take that as a
compliment.  By all means disagree with what I say -- it's either valid or
it's not (it may well not be!).

rule #1 -- the logo should have the letter 'D' in it.

> and, um... that's it :)

That is most definitely *not* it.  By your specification, would you be happy
with just the 'D' from Comic Sans?

There is a huge number of explicit and implicit rules and guidelines to
consider when creating the one image that will represent your project for
time immemorial.  That's why there are books, websites, careers forged on
this.

I'm not a designer by trade either, but in the absence of D being able to
hire a design company we're trying to do it ourselves, rather than just
dismissing the need for the job being done.

</rant>

BTW, your comparison isn't correct.  I'd compare:  "Why does the python logo
> contain snakes" to "Why does the D logo contain the letter D", and "Why does
> the D logo contain balls" to "Why does the python logo look like a + sign".

This is fair; that is a strange stylistic decision and I'm not sure what it
means.