D Programming Language Specification ebook

Johann MacDonagh johann.macdonagh..no at spam..gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 03:14:40 PDT 2011

On 7/4/2011 5:52 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/4/2011 1:50 AM, Johann MacDonagh wrote:
>> On 7/3/2011 10:11 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> What do you all think? $0? $4.99? $9.99?
>>
>> What about skipping Amazon and putting it up on
>> d-programming-language.org and
>> ask for donations? I think Paypal will handle the processing for you
>> for free if
>> you show you're not doing it for profit.
>
> People at the airport press a "free gift" on me, and then harangue me
> for a donation. I think that's the wrong image for D. People shouldn't
> be made to feel guilty about using D and not making a donation. I know
> it would turn me off, at least.

Yeah, I suppose. I guess if you follow the progit model (like you
suggested) and said "Support the D community!" that would essentially be
the same thing

>> If you set a price we'd have to go through each page and clean them up
>> / update
>> some for D2, etc... Donations make it nice because you can release newer
>> versions and donaters can update their copy without paying again.
>
> The idea is to generate the ebook automatically from the web sources.

Right, but there are some pages that need updating. The FAQ (from a
recent NG post), is one. The "Handling errors" page probably needs some
examples. The DLL example code is outdated as well IIRC. I just think
guaranteeing that purchasers can get more up-to-date versions as pages
are tweaked would be a nice touch, and I'm not sure how well Amazon
handles that.