Prototype buildsystem "Drake"

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Tue Jul 19 02:58:56 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 05:28 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Granted, I've never used this sort of feature from any buildsystem, but I
> thought we were talking about something like the "configure" command in Waf.
> My understanding is that it's like the "./configure" from autotool's
> "./configure && make && make install", (except hopefully without needing to
> check quite so much stuff or needing the user to manually run the configure
> command).

Waf does indeed have a configure phase and a build phase.  As long as
the configuration remains unchanged after a "waf configure" and there
hasn't been a "waf distclean" then you only ever need to build.

SCons on the other hand runs all the configuration checks in the
SConscript file on every run.

I am never sure which I prefer, they both have positives and negatives.

> Apperently some projects need to have their buildsystem check for the
> existance of, locations of, and details about certain things on the local
> system before building. So...that stuff.

I would have thought this would be all projects that are distributed as
source?
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk