Prototype buildsystem "Drake"

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Jul 19 05:55:28 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-19 11:28, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Granted, I've never used this sort of feature from any buildsystem, but I
> thought we were talking about something like the "configure" command in Waf.
> My understanding is that it's like the "./configure" from autotool's
> "./configure&&  make&&  make install", (except hopefully without needing to
> check quite so much stuff or needing the user to manually run the configure
> command).

I would hope D never had to use something like "./configure". It checks
for C language features and similar (probably other things as well). I
don't think that that belongs in a build system for D.

> Apperently some projects need to have their buildsystem check for the
> existance of, locations of, and details about certain things on the local
> system before building. So...that stuff.

Isn't that to check what libraries, and so on, are present? That is the
whole point of a package manager. A package specifies what dependencies
it has, then the package manager makes sure the dependencies are met, or
else it can't be installed.

Don't know what locations it would check for. The package as no saying
in where it should be installed, the package manger decides that.

Oh, now I mixing package manager and build tool and assume the build
tool will be used with the package manager.

When I was talking about "config file" I was thinking something more
like Rebuild's config files, example: http://pastebin.com/rYc47wXQ

--
/Jacob Carlborg