OS X 10.7 (Lion) breaks DMD-compiled executables due to ASLR (?)

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sat Jul 23 22:24:37 PDT 2011

I have been observing crashes in semi-random places around my D
applications (Segmentation fault/Bus errors) on the recently released OS
X 10.7, dubbed Lion. They miraculously disappeared every time I ran the
executables from GDB, and as I found out (thanks wm4 for the hint), this
was due to GDB disabling ASLR by default. And indeed, if I »set
disable-aslr off«, the crashes also happened within the debugger.

This is not totally surprising as Lion is the first OS X release to
include full ASLR for both 32 bit and 64 bit applications, but I have
not been able to track down what exactly goes on.

Any guesses what could go wrong here without additional details (I'm not
at all sure where to look right now)? Maybe something related to the OS
X-specific things like TLS handling?

David