Herb Sutter briefly discusses D during interview

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 7 19:31:20 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-07 17:32, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> There's a question related to D and Go within the first eight minutes:
>
> http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Herb-Sutter-C-Questions-and-Answe
> rs

I find it interesting that C++0x's noexcept is still a runtime feature like
exception specifications rather than going the static route that D's nothrow
does. It'll be easier to implement that way, I expect, given that C++
compilers are already implementing exception specifications, but having it be
statically-checked definitely has advantages. At least it's an improvement
over exception specifications regardless.

From what he said about D, it definitely sounds like D is trying to go where
he expects a systems programming language which could challenge C++ needs to
go, though the only thing he really said in specific about D was that he
thinks that we missed out on not improving the declaration and expression
syntax such that it's left-to-right instead of right-to-left. That would be a
pretty mind-bending change though, even if it were ultimately better. It
wouldn't surprise me if it never even occurred to Walter or anyone else
working on early D1 to go that route. It certainly wouldn't have ever occurred
to me - particularly for the expression syntax. Thinking about it, I guess
that Haskell and Scheme that way, so I've programmed in languages which were
like that before, but they're functional, so they're already a huge paradigm
shift, whereas C/C++ to D really isn't that big a shift. So, having a C-based
language which was left-to-right would definitely throw me off, at least
initially.

- Jonathan M Davis