Herb Sutter briefly discusses D during interview

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 19:41:21 PDT 2011

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 22:31:20 -0400, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:

> On 2011-06-07 17:32, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> There's a question related to D and Go within the first eight minutes:
>>
>> http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Herb-Sutter-C-Questions-and-Answe
>> rs
>
> I find it interesting that C++0x's noexcept is still a runtime feature
> like
> exception specifications rather than going the static route that D's
> nothrow
> does. It'll be easier to implement that way, I expect, given that C++
> compilers are already implementing exception specifications, but having
> it be
> statically-checked definitely has advantages. At least it's an
> improvement
> over exception specifications regardless.

IIRC, there is already a way to statically declare that a function doesn't
throw any exceptions.  I think you do it with throws().  I could be wrong
though, haven't used C++ in a while, and even when I did use it, I stayed
away from exception specifications, having a bad experience with them.

-Steve