Article discussing Go, could well be D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jun 8 19:47:08 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-08 19:32, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2011, at 7:18 PM, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > So, being able to call C code is fantastic and buys us a lot, but for a
> > lot of programmers, that just doesn't cut it. They want the libraries to
> > be in D.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Close, but I think the real want / need is for the library to be easy to
> use.  Language is a distant second.

True, but that generally means that the libraries be written in D. A well
written, easy-to-use C library might be more desirable than a poorly written,
hard-to-use D library, but in general, if the libraries are well written, then
it's going to be easier to use pure D code than it is to use C code. And a lot
of people are going to think that C code is harder to use in D than it
actually is before they actually do it, so it's generally going to seem worse
to D newbies that it really is. So, in general, people are going to be looking
for libraries to be written in D rather than having to figure out how to
interface with C libraries.

- Jonathan M Davis