Article discussing Go, could well be D

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 11:29:41 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Adam D. Ruppe
<destructionator at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think we should go for immutable packages. It makes the
> package managed infinitely simpler: if the file is there, use it.
> If not, download it, then use it. Since it's immutable, you can
> always use your file.
>
> How do you push updates then? Easy - change the name. Put the version
> number in the module name.

I agree, and this is the approach of Java tools like Maven and Ant/Ivy.
Package a release and label it with the version, then never ever modify it.
This makes it hard to work with the "trunk" of a project (though an
exceptional case could be made if there's enough justification), but with
enough developmental releases, it seems to work pretty well.