Article discussing Go, could well be D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jun 10 14:08:34 PDT 2011

"Jeff Nowakowski" <jeff at dilacero.org> wrote in message
news:ist8n0$1952$1 at digitalmars.com...

> You still didn't need to pass judgment on what is notable or not in their
> later careers.

Why the hell can't I? Is there some "thought police" I don't know about?

*He* passed judgement on the guy's earlier career. And *you* said "Maybe
because he has done things of note since?" so clearly, *you're* passing
judgement on his later career.

Oh, I see, passing judgement is only ok when the verdict happens to be
"thumbs up"...

If you're unimpressed with something then that's "passing judgement", but if
you are impressed then that's not a judgement at all. What the hell did I
step into, some "New Age/Flower Child"-Bizarro-World where only "positive
uplifting" ideas are valid ones? Bunch of hippocritical bullcrap.

> It's enough to say that dismissing D as being "irrelevant" without
> justification is the problem.
>
> Also, there's nothing wrong with taking a look at a C-like language
> because the inventors were heavily involved with the original C and Unix
> environments. Much like people are encouraged to look at D because of
> Walter's past work with a C++ compiler and Andrei's C++ experience. As a
> way to pique interest, it's valid. However, that should not be a
> determination of a language's actual merit.

Perhaps, but that's not the full extent of the situation here. He labeled D
as "stay[ing] in the spheres of irrelevancy", and the *only* conceivable
reason for him to have made such an assesement is that D lacks Go's "Google,
Pike, and Thompson". I'm not allowed to be annoyed by that and voice my
reasons?