Flag proposal [OT]

Paul D. Anderson paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net
Sun Jun 12 18:31:15 PDT 2011

Alix Pexton Wrote:

> On 12/06/2011 16:11, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 04:36:55 -0400, Alix Pexton
> > <alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.dot.com> wrote:

> >> Nope, its definitely Aye when used for voting, (at least it is round
> >> here) as in "all those in favour, say aye", "ayes to the right" and
> >> "the ayes have it". Maybe southerners say this "yea" word of which you
> >> speak, we don't hold with their strange customs in these parts ^^
> >
> > I don't deny that aye is used frequently for voting. All I was saying
> > is, the correct expression is yea or nay, not yay or nay. Andrej thought
> > it was actually aye or nay, which I've never heard as an expression.
> >
> > I'm not sure it's used anymore, but it's definitely an expression that
> > was used for voting (see my dictionary reference).
> >
> > -Steve
>
> True, "yea-or-nay" is quite a common, if old fashioned phrase, but "yea"
> on its own is exceptionally rare (to the point where I doubt ever
> hearing anyone make such a noise and mean it to indicate the affirmative).
>
> A...

Then you must not have heard the King James Version of the Bible read aloud, or been to a Shakespeare play.

Admittedly the KJV and Shakespeare's works don't count as modern English, but I doubt you've never "heard such a noise"!  :-)

p.s. The word appears 209 times in Shakespeare's plays. There's a website for everything!