Daniel Murphy (yebblies)

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Jun 14 05:56:48 PDT 2011

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 6/13/11 9:12 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> On 13/06/2011 14:39, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Walter is continuously working on improving speed of pull request
>>> integration. The bottleneck right now is the compiler test suite, which
>>> takes hours to run.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Is there some way we could speed this up? Obviously it can't be run for
>> multiple pull requests at once, as they requests could affect each
>> other, so it'll need a third run if they're run at the same time. Is
>> there some way we could work around that?
>
> Actually I suggested him to optimistically integrate several requests at
> once and then run the test suite. Only if the suite fails, fall back on
> integrating one at a time.

Well, to run a minimal test ( (a) no flags; (b) -O -inline -release )
takes about two minutes, and I've personally never seen a bug which was
caught by the full test, but not by the minimal test. (I believe that
such bugs do exist, but they're rarer than one in a thousand). OTOH it's
quite common to have a bug which passes the full test on one OS while
the minimal test fails on another.

I think it would be adequate to just run Phobos unittests + the minimal
test on both Windows-32 and Linux-64, (and maybe Mac as well) and then
rely on the auto-tester to catch the one-in-a-thousand bugs.