DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jun 21 07:02:07 PDT 2011

On 6/21/11 4:18 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2011-06-21 00:32, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 6/20/11 4:28 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>> See my reply to Dmitry.
>>
>> I see this as a dogfood issue. If there are things that should be in
>> Phobos and aren't, it would gain everybody to add them to Phobos.
>
> All of these are not missing. For some of the things I just like doing
> it differently then how Phobos does it.

I understand.

>> Anyhow, it all depends on what you want to do with the tool. If it's
>> written in D1, we won't be able to put it on the github
>> D-programming-language/tools (which doesn't mean it won't become
>> widespread).
>
> So now suddenly D1 is banned? Seems like you are trying to destroy all
> traces of D1. I think it would be better for all if you instead
> encourage people to use D of any version and not use D2.

No need to politicize this - as I said, it's a matter of dogfood, as
well as one of focusing our efforts. You seem to not like the way D and
its standard library work, which is entirely fine, except when it comes
about adding an official tool.

>>> BTW has std.benchmark gone through the regular review process?
>>
>> I was sure someone will ask that at some point :o). The planned change
>> was to add a couple of functions, but then it got separated into its own
>> module. If several people think it's worth putting std.benchmark through
>> the review queue, let's do so. I'm sure the quality of the module will
>> be gained.
>>

>> Andrei
>
> Why would std.benchmark be an exception? Shouldn't all new modules and
> big refactoring of existing ones go through the review process?

Again, the matter has been incidental - the module has grown from the
desire to reduce std.datetime. The new code only adds a couple of
functions. Going through the review process will definitely be helpful.

> If none
> one thinks it's worth putting std.benchmark through the review process
> then it seems to me that people isn't thinking it worth adding to Phobos.

I wrote these functions for two reasons. One, I want to add a collection
of benchmarks to Phobos itself so we can keep tabs on performance.
Second, few people know how to write a benchmark and these functions
help to some extent, so the functions may be of interest beyond Phobos.

My perception is that there is an underlying matter making you look for
every opportunity to pick a fight. Your posts as of late have been
increasingly abrupt. Only in the post I'm replying to you have attempted
to ascribe political motives to me, to frame me as one who thinks is
above the rules, and to question the worthiness of my work. Instead of
doing all that, it may be more productive to focus on the core matter
and figuring out a way to resolve it.

Thanks,

Andrei