DIP11: Automatic downloading of libraries

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Jun 21 02:18:02 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-21 00:32, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 6/20/11 4:28 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> See my reply to Dmitry.
>
> I see this as a dogfood issue. If there are things that should be in
> Phobos and aren't, it would gain everybody to add them to Phobos.

All of these are not missing. For some of the things I just like doing
it differently then how Phobos does it.

> Anyhow, it all depends on what you want to do with the tool. If it's
> written in D1, we won't be able to put it on the github
> D-programming-language/tools (which doesn't mean it won't become
> widespread).

So now suddenly D1 is banned? Seems like you are trying to destroy all
traces of D1. I think it would be better for all if you instead
encourage people to use D of any version and not use D2.

>> BTW has std.benchmark gone through the regular review process?
>
> I was sure someone will ask that at some point :o). The planned change
> was to add a couple of functions, but then it got separated into its own
> module. If several people think it's worth putting std.benchmark through
> the review queue, let's do so. I'm sure the quality of the module will
> be gained.
>

> Andrei

Why would std.benchmark be an exception? Shouldn't all new modules and
big refactoring of existing ones go through the review process? If none
one thinks it's worth putting std.benchmark through the review process
then it seems to me that people isn't thinking it worth adding to Phobos.

--
/Jacob Carlborg