Rename std.string.toStringz?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 20:12:28 PDT 2011

Am 26.06.2011 04:18, schrieb Walter Bright:
> On 6/25/2011 6:50 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> In the future the D community may be even larger - much larger hopefully.
>> IMHO inconsistent naming in the standard lib makes D look
>> unprofessional. If someone take a first look at the languages and it's
>> standard lib and it looks like it's just cobbled together it may scare
>> him off.
>
> Perhaps you're right. But breaking his existing, working code will scare
> off a lot more people.

They're already using D and thus probably already like it too much to be
scared off by renaming some functions ;)

>> I agree that there shouldn't be breaking changes /all the time/, but I'd
>> really like to see *one* big breaking update that fixes all naming
>> inconsistencies within Phobos. (Keeping deprecated aliases for the old
>> names for some releases should make the transition easier.)
>
> Breaking existing code has been going on for years now. It needs to stop.

Hmm.. it probably should. So let's stop it - *after* bringing Phobos in
a (naming-wise) consistent state.

OTOH Phobos isn't done yet anyway (parts will be reaplaced, like
std.stream and std.xml and new stuff will be added), so people shouldn't
expect it to be stable yet anyway.

Cheers,
- Daniel