State of std.json?

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Sat Jun 25 21:56:37 PDT 2011

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 00:25:44 -0400, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:
> As I understand it, std.json is due for an overhaul. Also, as I recall,
> Robert
> Jacques was working on doing that. What's the current state of that
> effort?
> Are we looking at being able to review it anytime soon? Or does more
> have to
> be done before that can happen?
>
> I really think that the remaining major module overhauls in Phobos need
> have a high priority so that those portions of Phobos can be
> appropriately
> stabilized. The longer that we have code sitting around that we're
> planning to
> replace, the more code is going to have to be changed when we do replace
> them.
> std.json is on the list of modules that supposedly needs an overhaul
> (I've
> never used it, so I really don't know anything about its current state),
> so
> I'm asking about it.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

In and of itself, I feel my std.json patch is ready for review and I've
posted the docs/code to the phobos list for preliminary review. The major
issue holding a formal review up is that it is now dependent on a patch to
std.variant which has suffered scope creep and tertiary bugs. As the
review queue has had higher priority items in it and there has been little
community interest in either module, I've put the final polishing of
std.variant on the back burner. But as the queue is temporarily empty,
I'll look over my code tomorrow and see if I can't get variant ready for
review.