Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

Jimmy Cao jcao219 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:56:47 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM, James Fisher <jameshfisher at gmail.com>wrote:

> Though the site at http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango gives no
> indication of that and still evangelizes migration from Phobos to Tango.
>  Are there people that would disagree with your assessment?

The tango homepage will never say something like, "D1/Tango is dead,
everyone migrate to Phobos!"  If you look at the history of D, back in 2006
or 2007 when the system for requesting improvements and bugfixes was rather
messy and Phobos was increasingly incompetent as a standard library, part of
the community decided to work on replacing Phobos and make a better library
for the community and driven by the community.  So that was how the Tango
community started, and that community stayed with D1 when D2 was released.

Both communities exist today, I guess, but the D2/Phobos community has grown
the most, and D1/Tango community has shrunken (it's been years, the fact
that there are still some D1/Tango users means that Tango really is a fine
library).  Phobos has improved ,also, and the transition to github has
helped it a lot.  Your best bet is Phobos - its development is very active,
and it is poised to clearly become the best standard library.