Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

James Fisher jameshfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:49:08 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to do a detailed writeup on your opinions. I
> think it's great feedback.

Well, thanks!

1. We all (well, almost all) agree on the need for a package manager. There
> are some recent threads on getting this going.

Ah.  Is this<http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/More_on_the_necessity_and_difficulty_of_a_package_management_system_127873.html>the
main thread you mean?

> 2. The "two standard libraries" debacle it pretty much in the past now. D2
> going forward has one standard library, Phobos.

Fair enough.  Though the site at http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango gives
no indication of that and still evangelizes migration from Phobos to Tango.
 Are there people that would disagree with your assessment?

3. For searching, I recommend "D programming" with the quotes. It works
> pretty good in google. I also harangue people who write about D to include
> the phrase "D programming language" at least once on their pages. This helps
> a lot. On twitter we use #d_lang to tie things together.

K.

4. The official website for D is now
http://www.d-programming-**language.org<http://www.d-programming-language.org>
> .

An odd thing about it is that one might mistake it for a companion site to
Andrei's book, having the same name and the front page devoted to it.  Is
this intentional?  Perhaps the plan is to host the book, in a
read-it-free-online-or-buy-the-book scheme, like the amazing Real World
Haskell<http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/why-functional-programming-why-haskell.html>?
 (That would be an incredibly strong resource.)  Is Andrei's book an
official part of the D project?

> 5. I know I suck at web site design

No offense meant!

6. The dlinks page is ancient, and it's been a long time since I even looked
> at it. I agree it needs a revamp.
>
> 7. The d-programming-language.org site is on github - this means that you
> can create pull requests for it! Please do for anything specific you can
> contribute to.

I'd love to.  Is the content of digitalmars.com/d now frozen; is the
intention to replace it with a redirect once content is migrated?