Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jun 29 13:13:38 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-29 20:16, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/29/2011 6:58 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> That *is* awful. I use Ruby on Rails with the following languages (and
>> what they
>> compile to):
>>
>> HAML -> HTML
>> SASS -> CSS
>> CoffeeScript -> JavaScript
>>
>> And Ruby of course.
>
> Are you recommending that people who want to contribute to D
> documentation need to learn Ruby on Rails?

Your saying you don't know that language(s) web developers use, I'm
saying that I use Ruby on Rails. If the page would be written in Ruby on
Rails then there would most likely be forms you can enter some kind of
structured text in, like Textile or Markdown. You don't have to know
Ruby on Rails just to add a new paragraph in an already existing page.

>> I would say DDoc is good for writing documentation but not for web pages.
>
> Why not? I use it for hundreds of web pages.

I don't know what kind of web pages you create but I need something more
than ddoc or html, something more than a simple markup language,
something with if-statements. When you need to store something in a
database you most likely will need a server side script.

--
/Jacob Carlborg