How fast is D compared to C++?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:09:52 PST 2011

Am 03.03.2011 02:01, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
> On 3/2/11 6:38 PM, bearophile wrote:
>> Andrei:
>>
>>> my understanding is that Isaac has nothing against D but
>>> can't be bothered with a 32-bit setup. Perhaps now with the 64-bit
>>> edition maturing, we can look forward to seeing dmd reincluded. Of
>>> course, if the benchmarks are already set up properly and working, he'll
>>> be much easier compelled.
>>
>> I think your are misunderstanding Isaac. You will probably not see D in that
>> site in a short time.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> Shouldn't even matter, or at most, all the more reason to work on our own
> benchmarks.
>
> Andrei

Well, %u's point was that that shootout could attract developers (enterprises
even) to use D - even if they've never heard of D before (or haven't bothered
much), if they see it listed on that page and if it performs well they may try D.

But having no chance to get onto that page (in the near future) shouldn't
prevent us from doing our own benchmarks, of course. It's just a pity that they
won't get as much attention when they're not listed there.

What were the reasons for not listing D anyway?

Cheers,
- Daniel