Google Summer of Code

jasonw user at webmails.org
Thu Mar 3 16:10:25 PST 2011

Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> On 3/3/11 3:48 AM, Jens Mueller wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Trass3r brought it up and I think it's a very good idea. D is lacking
> > some man power. The mentoring deadline is 11th of March. There are
> > important and interesting projects students may work on.
> >
> > I'm writing this post seeking answers to
> > 1. What's the "official" D stand on this matter?
> > 2. Are there already students who have time and would like to join? What
> >     are you interested in?
> >
> > The first question is currently the more important one. The organization
> > administrator has to submit an application until the above deadline.
> > The purpose of the second question is to get some feedback whether it
> > would be worthwhile to submit an application. Because later on students
> > need to propose/join a project.
> >
> > Jens
> >
> > PS
> > The FAQs on http://code.google.com/soc/ is very helpful.
>
> Thanks for this idea. I plan to submit an organization application. As
> of now I'm unclear whether Digital Mars would be the best organization
> to apply, as opposed to an unincorporated "d-programming-language.org"
> entity. I'll discuss this with Walter. All, please chime in if you have
> related experience.
>
> We have a number of good projects to work on:
>
> * XML library
>
> * Networking library
>
> * IDE
>
> * Lexer/parser generator
>
> * Containers
>
> * Encryption/hashing
>
> * Thrift bindings

What is Thrift? I read it's a Facebook technology which would benefit your career, not D especially. Not trying to be political, but as we know Facebook and Google are competing enemies. Why do you think Google would support some Facebook project financially?

Why not write D-Bus bindings? D-Bus is the de facto protocol on all modern open source operating systems. About as important as COM or CLR. COM is supported by D. Why not D-Bus? D-Bus is politically neutral technology.