Proposal for std.path replacement

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Mar 6 13:49:59 PST 2011

"Lars T. Kyllingstad" <public at kyllingen.NOSPAMnet> wrote in message
news:il09fp$2h5d$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 15:54:19 +0100, spir wrote:
>>
>> What about extending the notion of 'device' (see other post) to cover
>> 'http://' and "ftp://"?
>> Would it be complicated?
>
> I don't think std.path should handle general URIs.  It should only have
> to deal with the kind of paths you can pass to the functions in std.file
> and std.stdio.

If std.path doesn't handle uri's, then we'd need a whole other set of
functions for dealing with uris. And at least a few of the functions would
overlap. And then people who want to be able to handle both files and uris
will want functions that will seamlessly handle either. So I think it really
would be best to just bite the bullet and have std.path handle uri's.

That said, I'm not sure this would be necessary for round 1 of the new
std.path. Could just be added later.