Proposal for std.path replacement

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Mar 6 16:44:23 PST 2011

On Sunday 06 March 2011 07:29:27 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I think whatever you choose will not please everybody, so just choose
> something and stick with it. Regarding all the extension naming stuff, I
> suggest you go with the "suffix" nomenclature which is more general and
> applicable to all OSs.

I agree with Lars on this one. Everyone knows what an extension is. It's a
universal concept even if it's not used as much on non-Windows OSes. There _are_
plenty of programs in *nix which use it internally (likely because it's a lot
easier than dealing with mime type) even if they shouldn't. "suffix" instead of
"extension" or "ext" would be a lot less clear to most people and add pretty
much no benefit.

> You may want to prepare this for review after April 1st, when the review
> for std.parallelism ends. There is good signal in the exchange so far,
> but from here on this discussion could go on forever and shift focus
> away from std.parallelism.

I agree that we've probably gotten as much out of the discussion of std.path as
we could reasonably get prior to a full review, so continuing a major discussion
in this thread is likely unwarranted. However, are you indicating that we should
never have more than one module in review at a time? I see some benefit in
spreading them out, on the other hand, if we have multiple modules ready for
review, it seems like we could be slowing down progress unnecessarily if we
ruled that we could only ever have one module under review at a time.

As for std.parallelism, I fear that that is the sort of module which is going to
get close examination by a few people and most others will either ignore because
they don't really intend to use it or because they fear that it will be too
complicated to look at and review (especially if they're not all that well-
versed in threading). So, I'm not sure how much of an in-depth examination it's
going to get by the group at large. Which reminds me, I still need to go check
it out...

- Jonathan M Davis