LLVM 3.0 type system changes

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 8 07:48:07 PST 2011

== Quote from Caligo (iteronvexor at gmail.com)'s article
> --bcaec51a83ee693a30049df97ef8
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Bernard Helyer <b.helyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 00:15:54 -0600, Caligo wrote:

> > > Yes, I know about dil, but I wonder why you chose not to contribute to
> > > dil instead of starting a new project.  AFAIK dil is D1.
> >
> > I know about Dil. aziz is great, the project is great. However, I know
> > and want to use D2/Phobos. Plus, if I'm going to spend years on a
> > project, I may as well use stuff I like. Furthermore, SDC didn't start
> > out as a full compiler. Just playing around with lexing/parsing D. NIH
> > syndrome, too.
> >
> I was aware of your "NIH syndrome", and that's why I have a problem with
> this.  The main reason you are doing this is to serve your own needs, to
> make yourself feel good, to earn some kind of recognition, but not to serve
> the community in any meaningful way.  Even if the project fails, it will
> look good on your resume because you took the time to develop a compiler.
> This kind of behavior is very common in the FOSS community, and it has
> become a disease.  It's the reason why there are thousands of dead software
> projects that were never completed and maintained.

IMHO, there's no such thing as a completed project. And if there is, then it will
need maintaining in 6-12 months time regardless.

Libraries change, systems change, compilers change.

Ever tried compiling a 'finished' project written 5 years ago with a modern GCC
compiler? It can be rather tricky, especially if said project depended on certain
mis-features of the language implementation at the time.