Status report, milestones, quality improvements?

jasonw user at webmails.org
Tue Mar 15 18:13:33 PDT 2011

A lot of work is going on around D. However I can't really fit the pieces together to see how everything works.

Bad quality
--------------

One problem is the large amount of obsolete data ( http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmdfe )

Dsource is The place for D projects. The problem with dsource is if you're a serious professional and need professional quality libraries and tools, dsource does nothing in the way of supporting these types of users. The sections are filled with small hobby projects such as http://www.dsource.org/projects/libcalc. What I'm looking for is somehing that emphasizes the names of "important" projects. For example standard parallel/concurrency/server/socket/vfs libraries are a first class priority. It takes a day to browse through the list of mediocre crap.

Status reports

http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/roadmap is empty. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/future.html is totally uninformative. This is a really terrible joke. Where is the list of incompatibilities between TDPL and DMD/LDC/GDC? Why don't libraries come with [alpha], [beta], [stable] tags. It's hard to choose between 5 different implementations if you need to ask personally from the authors via IRC. Take a look at:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.7_Feature_Plan
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Extragear

Where is the status reports of feature proposals? I know bugzilla contains a lot of data, but it gives no interface to quickly analyze the latest feature changes. Newsgroup threads often discuss useless things (CRT displays and whether black-on-white is better than white-on-black in a feature proposal threads). Nick Sabalausky and Walter Bright are worst trolls in this regard, hijacking every thread to spread off-topic talk.

I've tried to advertise D to colleagues. What they're interested in is a) library and tool support b) quality of apidocs c) progress reports (milestones, release history, other plans) d) mailist list quality. Currently my answers have been a) it's getting better, don't know when b) it's getting better, don't know when and how c) don't know d) digitalmars.d is full of trolls and off-topic stuff, the closed mailing lists are better, but don't have much traffic. Typical conclusion is, D is too immature.