How to proceed now that D is accepted to GSoC?

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sun Mar 20 16:07:47 PDT 2011

On 3/20/11 11:35 PM, dsimcha wrote:
> One clarification about GSoC: Do they expect a full-time or near
> full-time commitment from applicants, or is it reasonable to do a GSoC
> project at night/on weekends while doing "normal" Ph.D. thesis work
> during the day? I had thought that GSoC was only for undergrads and just
> found out grad students are allowed to apply. I definitely cannot work
> full time on my project, but I doubt I would need to either. Therefore,
> I'm **halfway** (emphasis added) thinking of applying for either the
> containers or garbage collection project.

this summer«, and Carol Smith (carlos) of Google mentioned it explicitly
on #gsoc (http://ibot.rikers.org/%23gsoc/20110317.html.gz) and on the
student guide co-authored by her
(http://www.booki.cc/gsocstudentguide/_v/1.0/am-i-good-enough/).

David

P.S.: I'm sure you would be able to come up with something great even in
a shorter amount of time though, using this opportunity to say thank you
for plot2kill (for which I just hacked together a Qt backend, I'll let
you know once I brought it into shape).