Interested in a GSoC project idea

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Mar 22 02:53:59 PDT 2011

> Well, The biggest question in my mind is that how many container types that
> I should implement? Also will I be able to use a hierarchy similar to a
> programming language such as Java or C++ ?

There is no hierarchy to std.container like you'd get in Java. The current
plain is for the containers to be final classes, so they're reference types,
but you still get the benefits of inlining and whatnot. No container will
inherit from another. The genericity of containers comes from templates, not
inheritance.

Also, containers should be based on what their data structure is, not what
they're used for (e.g. RedBlackTree instead of Set or Map). If you're
interested in working on std.container, you should look at what's in there
now. It includes a table of common functions and their required Big-O
complexity.

I think that the main thing is to get a list of the main container types which
have not yet been implemented - e.g. a doubly-linked list. Those are what
needed to be implemented.

Really, the person to talk to about what needs to be done with std.container
is Andrei. He's its initial designer and best knows what the overall plan for
it is. Also, part of the reason that more containers haven't been implemented
yet has to do with some language issues IIRC. It had to do with avoiding code
duplication in the implementations of the various containers, but I don't
remember exactly what it was off the top of my head. Regardless, Andrei is the
best acquainted with how std.container works and what the plans for it are.

- Jonathan M Davis