Interested in a GSoC project idea

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Mar 22 02:56:41 PDT 2011

%u Ishan Thilina:

> Well, The biggest question in my mind is that how many container types that I
> should implement?

There are many data structures useful for Phobos, ordered from the most useful:
- a graph (boost graph is huge. But if you remove many algorithms, what's left is not huge);
- a hash set like the Python built-in one;
- A deque made with a dynamic array of fixed sized arrays;
- an ordered (chained, keeps the insertion order) associative array (not hard, no need to re-implement associative arrays);
- a Union-Find (not too much hard);
- a Bloom filter (easy with the already present bit arrays);
- a dawg;
- a simple trie;
- a BK-tree;
- a bidirectional associative array;
- a parallelizable immutable finger tree...
- A n-dimensional matrix type?

> Also will I be able to use a hierarchy similar to a programming
> language such as Java or C++ ?

For Phobos Andrei wants a design very different from the Java one. I think more with static composition/mixins, done with templates. Other people will give you better answers.

Bye,
bearophile