Pretty please: Named arguments

Andrew Wiley debio264 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 20:39:30 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Steven Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:33:28 -0400, Bruno Medeiros
> <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> wrote:
>
>> Well, now we go back to discussion of the discussion of whether one thinks
>> it's worthwhile to use and IDE or not (for general development, not just
>> code reviews).
>> I don't want to go into this discussion again, at least not now so soon. I
>> think that what we all may take from the discussion I was having from Steven
>> right now, and maybe everyone agree with, is that whether it's worthwhile to
>> use an IDE for code reviews is reduced to the discussion of whether it's
>> worthwhile to use an IDE generally or not. In other words, if you don't do
>> the tasks I mentioned before (looking up documentation, compiling and
>> running code, running tests. also, using the source control system) from
>> inside the IDE when developing yourself, you will definitely won't want to
>> use it when code reviewing, accepting patches, etc..
>
> Building on that, I'll actually put it another way:
>
> Without netbeans, I would be twice as slow with php development.  Being a
> non-static language, with so many little quirks and annoyances that come
> with, I find netbeans' features essential (my most favorite is the recent
> ability to "type" object variables so you can look at the documented
> members).  In fact, I'd be way more likely to install a D for netbeans
> plugin than I would to install another IDE specifically for D.
>
> But with D, I find the online documentation and included tools "good enough"
> for most development.  I'm also way more familiar with D's library than I am
> with php's.
>
> I don't know if it's a good apples-to-apples comparison, but I simply feel
> no need to have an IDE to read D code.  I don't feel the same way about php
> :)  Having named arguments would add to that feeling of comfort, I believe.
>
> -Steve
>
> P.S. I've tried two D ides in the past for about 10 minutes (descent and
> code::blocks), could not get either of them to work right.  And it was *not*
> trivial to set them up.

I would make the argument that once you started working with a D IDE
with enough features, you'd probably find yourself addicted to it as
you are with PHP and Netbeans. At least, that's been my experience
across just about every language I've coded in.