Pretty please: Named arguments

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 04:56:26 PDT 2011

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:39:30 -0400, Andrew Wiley <debio264 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would make the argument that once you started working with a D IDE
> with enough features, you'd probably find yourself addicted to it as
> you are with PHP and Netbeans. At least, that's been my experience
> across just about every language I've coded in.

/me likes my vi :)  I know ides can mimic vi, or use vi directly to edit,
but for most purposes, vi + online docs suits my style well.

I don't dislike IDEs per se, I've used Visual Studio quite a bit and I
like it, though it's not supported on my current OS (Linux).  I also think
NetBeans is pretty good, it certainly makes php coding more enjoyable.

But I will never, ever install an IDE for the sole purpose of reviewing
code.  And I don't see the problem with making code more understandable
without an IDE.  The point that named parameters a "useless" feature
because IDEs already take care of that is what I disagree with, not that
IDEs are useful.

-Steve