[GSOC] Database API

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 25 11:45:36 PDT 2011

> On 24/03/2011 17:58, Trass3r wrote:
> >> Has this idea/project been assigned a mentor? I'd like to ask them and
> >> the list, what's the best thing for me to do right now to prepare for
> >> this?
> >
> > You could also have a look at http://dsource.org/projects/ddbi
> > This shows some past efforts to create database interfaces.
>
> This can be of some inspiration and also brings up a point about how
> this project would be executed, ie. is this to be part of phobos or a
> totally separate project? I'm guessing to be Digital Mars supported it's
> more likely wanted to be a part of phobos, but could someone clarify on
> this?

What I would expect to be the case would be that it would be implemented with
the idea that it would ideally be put into Phobos but that it wouldn't
necessarily make it into Phobos. Any major new functionality that gets added
to Phobos at this point needs to be reviewed by the folks on this newsgroup
and get voted in. So, it's possible that a fairly solid solution could be
created which would not be acceptable in Phobos for one reason or another, at
which point it would have to either be fixed so that it would be acceptable in
Phobos or be left as a 3rd party library.

So, ideally stuff like a good database solution for D would make it into
Phobos, but whether it actually makes it in depends a great deal on the actual
solution.

- Jonathan M Davis