GCC 4.6

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Mar 31 17:50:03 PDT 2011

Christopher Bergqvist:

> Why not split this NG in two?
> d-pragmatism - Concrete stuff, TDPL + absolutely necessary adjustments
> which are probably discussed first in the other ng...
> d-theory - A place to discuss the future of D, stuff with a longer timeline.
>
> Or maybe we should accept this NG for being a mix of both and that at
> least d-announce is d-pragmatism condensed, kind of.

I am against a further NG split, I have explained why in another post. But here are some more comments.

On one hand online groups of people that work to develop some software need some discipline and organization of their work, to improve their productivity.

On the other hand it's all voluntary service, most people don't get paid to help D development, so they _can't_ be managed as employed people, especially in a public forum designed for generic discussions about a language.

Some people are more interested in coding a lot, other people are more interested in talking and ideas, and so on. If such desires aren't respected, some people may just decrease their interest in the community, if not leave. And given the small size of this group, this is bad.

This is why I have said those discussions are not eating away lot of coding time that's usable for Phobos and GSoC: because some people are not interested in writing lot of Phobos code or doing GSoC, so if they get shut up, the total coding time/mind share for Phobos/GSoC don't increase significantly.

And from what I have seen on myself (I have written more than 100_000 lines of D1 code), even people that do want to write lot of code don't waste a lot of "coding time" on the discussions, because their brain needs rest once in a while while they write down code. Writing down some answers about ideas doesn't reduce a lot the time they spend coding.

That said, now work on the already designed/planned features, on Phobos and on GSoC is more important than inventing new language features for D3. Still the group must keep being friendly toward people that want to talk about more general things. There are already groups focused on DMD development, Phobos, etc.

Bye,
bearophile