too early for D2 and too late for D1

Jerry jlquinn at optonline.net
Tue May 3 19:58:31 PDT 2011

jasonw <user at webmails.org> writes:
> Don't get me wrong, D is already much faster than many "toy"
> languages. Faster than Java and C# in some applications. What's
> relevant is that the C/C++/Fortran users will only switch if D
> provides concrete performance improvements over their *existing*
> toolchains. It has taken LLVM several years and they're not yet even
> on par with GCC in all benchmarks.

I would challenge this statement somewhat.  I do high-performance
programming in C++.  I don't expect D compilers to generate faster code
than C++, but to rather that they will achieve parity.

What I do expect is that D will make it significantly easier to write
and maintain this fast code.  That is worth quite a bit.  Developer time
is important even when writing high-performance code.