too early for D2 and too late for D1

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue May 3 20:08:41 PDT 2011

On 5/3/2011 7:58 PM, Jerry wrote:
> I would challenge this statement somewhat.  I do high-performance
> programming in C++.  I don't expect D compilers to generate faster code
> than C++, but to rather that they will achieve parity.
>
> What I do expect is that D will make it significantly easier to write
> and maintain this fast code.  That is worth quite a bit.  Developer time
> is important even when writing high-performance code.

My experience in tuning D code for speed is that if you write "C++" code in D,
you will get the same performance as C++. However, D makes it a *lot* easier to
reorganize/refactor code to try and make it run faster, and this makes for
better algorithms and hence faster code.

For example, should I pass an object around by ref or by value? In C++, I've got
to convert all my -> to . or vice versa, throughout the code. With D, I just
change the alias declaration.