Implementing std.log

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun May 8 23:52:21 PDT 2011

On 5/7/11 3:43 PM, Jose Armando Garcia wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> For the past couple of days I took the liberty of partially
> implementing a logging module for D.
[snip]

Nice work. Also thanks for contacting me offline.

As I mentioned I'd already decided I'll take a stab at implementing a
logging module inspired in design from glog. I was tired of the endless
discussions on what a logging API should look like. This ironically is
leading now to an embarrassment of riches - we now have two proposals on
the table. I subjectively prefer mine for the simple reason that it
includes exactly what I wanted from a logging subsystem with a light syntax.

The documentation is at
http://d-programming-language.org/phobos-prerelease/std_log.html.

The source code is at http://erdani.com/log.d, with informative title
only; to compile the code you'd need some changes in std.format as well
(I extended the positional parameter syntax to allow ranges of
positions). Todos include slight refactoring to avoid bloat in generated
code per call, OS portability (I only tested on OSX), and getting
threading right by fixing the shared-related compiler bugs.

Looking forward to more discussion of the matter.

Andrei