reddit discussion about Go turns to D again

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat May 14 14:08:40 PDT 2011

On 14.05.2011 20:10, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/hb6m8/google_io_2011_writing_web_apps_in_go/
>

> Andrei

I have been playing lately with Go, and I must say that the language
might be a good replacement for C usage with a more up to date language
features (GC + safer type system + modules + reflection + concurrency).

But I doubt that Go can be a good replacement for systems that are
nowadays programmed on the large in Java/.Net/C++. Maybe D can
eventually belong to this area.

Regardless of the merits of both languages, Google backing plays
certainly a role. I doubt any of us would have looked at it, if
the main developers weren't working at Google.

The App Engine support will make more people curious to look up
the language. Plus they already have a few success stories:

- Heroku
- Atlassian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDVRowyUQA (around 00:30m)

--