[OT] Re: There's new GIT instructions on Github now

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:21:51 PDT 2011

Am 21.05.2011 01:11, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
> "Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ir6r32$1he8$11 at digitalmars.com...
>> Am 21.05.2011 00:34, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
>>> "Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:ir6q2j$1he8$8 at digitalmars.com...

>>> The way I see it, msys and mingw are total pains in the ass that should
>>> never be forced on anyone regardless of whether they're just using a
>>> program
>>> or compiling it (and cygwin's even worse). If someone wants to use it
>>> themself, then fine, but that garbage should never be forced on anyone.
>>>
>>> And again, using Wine doesn't count as supporting Linux, so why the hell
>>> should the other way around be any different?
>>>

>> Come on, that comparison is BS.
>> You can /maybe/ compare cygwin to libwine (but not wine itself)..
>> But MinGW is just a compiler and some other tools that are native and
>> produce native code that doesn't need wrappers for posix-interfaces or
>> such. And MSYS is just a shell environment with some Unix tools like
>> bash, make, grep, ... and not some kind of Linux emulator.
>
> In other words, Wine does even *more* to make windows programs work on
> linux...

Of course, because more is needed, because they're less portable.
Wine provides the Win API and a lot of libs (like directx) and runs
windows binaries.
MSYS/cygwin don't run Linux binaries. Cygwin provides a POSIX API. So
it's kind of comparable to libwine.
However MinGW uses the Windows API => is native. It's just a different
compiler (and related tools) than e.g. MSVC or DMC and its tools.

BTW: I don't consider programs that need cygwin on Windows proper
Windows ports.
But I don't mind MinGW (and MSYS, to some degree).