std.log available for viewing

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun May 29 03:07:20 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-29 01:40, Jose Armando Garcia wrote:
> The implementation and documentation for std.log is ready for viewing.
> You can take a look at the doc at
> http://jsancio.github.com/phobos/phobos/std_log.html. The source code
> is at https://github.com/jsancio/phobos/blob/master/std/log.d.
>
> I had to make some changes to druntime to get the thread id. The
> module will work without the changes but you wont to see thread ids in
> your log messages. I will look into sending a pull request to
> druntime, in the meantime you can apply the attached patch to your
> druntime if you want to see thread ids in the log.
>
> Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions! Thanks,
> -Jose

Why is everyone that contribute with a std.log implementation keep
insisting that it should be configured via command line options? This is
not how a library should be configured, it should be configured via
regular methods like the rest of Phobos. If an application wants to set
logging options via the command line then that's up to the application
to implement.

I don't like the abbreviations, "vlog" and "dfatal". I first thought you
had an error in the documentation when I saw "fatal" and "dfatal". I
would suggest "verbose" and "debugFatal", it's clear what they mean and
it's consistent with how the other logging levels are named. There's
always the option to alias a method for the users.

--
/Jacob Carlborg