std.log available for viewing

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun May 29 08:06:27 PDT 2011

On 5/29/11 5:07 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Why is everyone that contribute with a std.log implementation keep
> insisting that it should be configured via command line options? This is
> not how a library should be configured, it should be configured via
> regular methods like the rest of Phobos. If an application wants to set
> logging options via the command line then that's up to the application
> to implement.

I think that's because command-line configuration is very commonly
required for logging. (Programmatic configuration should be allowed as
well.)

Though logging is useful for a variety of applications, it is vital to
headless servers. Having a unified convention for command-line
configurability is a boon for deployment tools.

> I don't like the abbreviations, "vlog" and "dfatal". I first thought you
> had an error in the documentation when I saw "fatal" and "dfatal". I
> would suggest "verbose" and "debugFatal", it's clear what they mean and
> it's consistent with how the other logging levels are named. There's
> always the option to alias a method for the users.

I instantly recognized "vlog" as "verbose log" and "dlog" as "debug
log". We arguably don't need the latter as "debug log" is quite light,
and I don't see "vlog" a tenuous term to learn and use. A lot of terms
could go any number of ways though.

Andrei