Character set conversions

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sun May 29 20:02:27 PDT 2011

Am 30.05.2011 05:03, schrieb Adam D. Ruppe:
> Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> Sometimes it may be necessary to translate from another encoding to
>> UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32 when getting input from somewhere, and
>> sometimes it may be necessary to translate to another encoding from
>> UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-16 when outputting somewhere, but it
>> certainly isn't the norm.
>
> Translation is all I want. Internally, everything is utf8 strings,
> but sometimes the program is fed files in another encoding and it
> needs to handle them too.

Hmm on the one hand iconv already does this for a plethora of
encodings.. on the other hand AFAIK there is no iconv implementation
that could be shipped with Phobos, so if a module for translating
between encodings should become part of Phobos there seems be no other
way than writing one from scratch :/
(And I think having this in Phobos would make sense)