Character set conversions

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun May 29 21:20:36 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-29 20:03, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Sometimes it may be necessary to translate from another encoding to
> > UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32 when getting input from somewhere, and
> > sometimes it may be necessary to translate to another encoding from
> > UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-16 when outputting somewhere, but it
> > certainly isn't the norm.
>
> Translation is all I want. Internally, everything is utf8 strings,
> but sometimes the program is fed files in another encoding and it
> needs to handle them too.

Well, likely no one has done it yet because none of the Phobos developers have
needed it enough to implement it, and no one outside of them has taken the
time to do so and tried to get it into Phobos. And with everything else there
is to do, it's the sort of thing that's likely not to get done anytime soon -
especially with no feature requests or bug reports no the matter. Personally,
I wasn't even aware that it was an issue. Pure UTF-8 has always worked just
fine for me. Presumably, you're running into issues with it because you're
actually using D at work.

So, you can either implement it yourself and create a pull request for it, or
you can create an enhancement request, and it'll probably get done eventually,
but with everything else that needs doing, I don't know how quickly it'll get
done.

- Jonathan M Davis